Reasonable Accommodation

Through HUD Section 504, OHA ensures that a “qualified” person with a handicap:

  • Is afforded an opportunity equal to that afforded to others
  • Is provided housing and benefits as effective as those afforded to others
  • Is not provided different or separate housing or benefits unless necessary to provide the person with a handicap with housing and benefits that are as effective as those provided to others

​What is a Reasonable Accommodation?      

A reasonable accommodation is a change, exception or adjustment to a rule, policy practice or service that may be necessary for the person with a disability to have an equal opportunity to the Housing Authority’s programs and services.

What is the definition of a Person with a Disability?

A person with a disability is any person who:

  • Has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities of an individual; or
  • Has a record of having such impairment; or
  • Is regarded as having such impairment

What is OHA’s Staff Role and Responsibility?

OHA’s employees are responsible for ensuring that the agency does not discriminate against a person with a disability by refusing to make a reasonable accommodation that may be necessary to allow that person equal access under any of the programs administered by OHA.

Requesting Reasonable Accommodation

A reasonable accommodation request(s) may be made by or on behalf of a person with a disability to any OHA staff. If a participant or applicant indicates that an exception, change, or adjustment to a rule, policy, practice or service is needed because of a disability, the OHA must treat that information as a request for a reasonable accommodation even if no formal written request is made. 


Verbal requests are the most common types of requests.  In cases such as these, the participant is provided a “Request for a Reasonable Accommodation” form (RA form #OHA290104). Be advised that if the participant or applicant does not complete the “Official RA form,” it does not negate or cancel out the fact that a reasonable accommodation request was made.


For more information, please contact:

Darryl Moore, 504 Coordinator & Sr. Management Analyst

1805 Harrison Street

Oakland, CA 94612​​

(510) 587-2116

To access HUD's Section 504 notices, regulations and supportive documents click here​.